ROSE Waters loved to spoil her pampered pooches but was ready for a challenge to save some cash.
So the thrifty 25-year-old from Liverpool attempted to live on £1 a day, setting aside the savings she made to buy treats for her dogs, six-year-old Precious and four-year-old Lucy.
Sun Saver Rose tells of making her £1 per day stretch and saving enough to pamper her pooches
Rose, who is unemployed and lives with her parents, has always been a savvy shopper.
But she was almost forced to take on the challenge. She said: “I missed an appointment, which meant I didn’t receive my monthly £250 benefits — so I needed to feed myself on as little as possible.”
In our weekly Meet The Saver feature, Rose shares her secrets on how she made the most of her money.
- Be organised. Rose keeps track of all her spending, as she can then look back to see where she’s overspent. She says: “It’s crazy to see how much you can spend in a month but having evidence of it can show you where you could save money.” She keeps receipts and vouchers in mini folders she bought off eBay. Check that out for some savvy organisation!
- Think of new ways to save money. Have you got something in mind you want to buy? Think of ways you can make the money to pay for it. When Rose needed a new bed and mattress, she saved up by taking online surveys on sites such as Toluna, Valued Opinions and Panelbase. She also used shopping apps like Shoppix, Shopprize and Receipt Hog. It took a few months but she earned £150 in Amazon vouchers.
- Consider cutting out meat. Rose became a vegan two years ago, which means she saves money on expensive cuts of meat — but she’s seen health benefits too. She says: “It was mainly to be healthier, but also for animal welfare. Cutting out meat and dairy products even helped me with my asthma and eczema.”
- Stay in. Entertaining with friends in the form of meals and drinks out can be very expensive, so Rose prefers to stay in with friends and family. She says: “Some of my best moments have been with friends or family playing board games or watching an old film together.” You can find cheap board games and DVDs in charity shops and car boot sales for a couple of quid.
- Stock up on tins. Rose likes to stock up on tinned food so she can always make a cheap meal with what’s in her store cupboard. She says: “I actually just bought loads of tins. I buy things like beans, coconut milk, soups and tinned veg like sweetcorn. I use coconut milk in my curries or desserts and I could have beans with any meal to be honest – I love them!”
Sun Savers’ guide to the freebies you can bag on your birthday Designer double The George Beauty’s Liquid Lipstick in Swan Lake is £4.50 It’s a double for the Charlotte Tilbury Lip Lustre in Blondie at £17.50
GET a metallic pout with George Beauty’s Liquid Lipstick in Swan Lake instead of Charlotte Tilbury’s Lip Lustre in Blondie.SAVE: £13
Reader’s saving tip
JOHN HUTTON, from Weymouth, Dorset, says: “Unblock your sink by using one tablespoon of bicarbonate of soda. Sprinkle in the plughole and wash down with vinegar – so much cheaper than the various brands available.”
- Send us your tips to sunsavers.co.uk/tips and you’ll get 28 codes worth £5 if your tip is used. Please include your name and town.
Deal of the day This is how to save on last-minute trips around the UK with Virgin Trains
OFF for a weekend getaway? Travel around the UK with Virgin Trains as they’ve scrapped Friday walk-up peak fares from London Euston. Save up to £125.55 on last-minute trips to Manchester.SAVE: Up to £125.55
Save a fiver
Save a fiver selected ModelCo products at Boots
BOOTS has slashed one third off the price of selected ModelCo products. Get a tan in a can with the brand’s Airbrush In A Can, was £15, now £10.
My Sun Savers fiver
ROSE is a new Sun Saver and it’s no surprise what she plans to spend her first fiver on – treats for her dogs!
Play now to win £15,000 on the Sun Savers Raffle
IF you are not already part of our fantastic Sun Savers Raffle, don’t miss out as the paper you’re holding could be worth an incredible £15,000. Every Sun Savers code you enter will earn you a ticket for our fab £15,000 monthly Raffle.
But be quick because our next draw is at the end of July, so join in now.
Join thousands of readers taking part in the new Sun Savers Raffle
Plus, for every ten tickets you collect in a calendar month, you will get a GOLDEN TICKET for your chance to win our huge £80,000 Raffle, which takes place every three months. The next £80k Raffle is drawn at the end of September.
To get involved, opt in to each month’s Raffle by clicking “Yes!” when prompted and start collecting the Sun Savers codes printed daily inside your favourite paper.
You can find today’s Sun Savers code on Page 16. With every Sun Savers code you enter into the Sun Savers app or website, you will automatically earn a ticket for that month’s £15,000 Raffle.
There is no limit to how many tickets you can collect per month, so make sure you enter as many Sun Savers codes as you can to give yourself the best chance of winning.
Not already a Sun Savers member? Just search “Sun Savers” in the app store and download the app or head to sunsavers.co.uk. To get started, all you need to do is enter a few details.
Fancy a free fiver?
YOU can get FREE cash with super Sun Savers just for buying your favourite paper.
Our brilliant new rewards club will pay back our most loyal readers.
Just pick up the paper each day to collect your Sun Savers codes and we will GIVE YOU £5 when you have collected 28.
This isn’t a one-off and there is no limit to how much cash you can save.
For every 28 codes you enter, we will give you a fiver. So over the course of a year, that could add up to £65.
We are keeping it super-simple. You don’t have to enter codes from consecutive days, so don’t worry if you forget a day or two.
Download our easy Sun Savers app and quickly scan your code using your smartphone. Or go online and enter your code at sunsavers.co.uk.
NO SWEAT Debenhams launches in-store gyms with money off beauty products with memberships
FAMILY SUPPORT Parents miss out on thousands of pounds due to child benefit complications
THE FUTURE IS ORANGE Aldi is selling ORANGE wine for £6
OH BABY Boots is having a MASSIVE sale on baby items with prices starting at 87p
CHEESY CHIPS Wetherspoon’s now does halloumi fries – and they cost £3
MOVING ON Single dad reveals how he saved deposit for £155k three-bed house in just 2 years